Sunday, December 8, 2013

Looking Back

I remember the smell of my grandmas perfume. The sweet yet vintage smell.

I remember when you called be beautiful.

I remember when I first started falling for you.

I remember the first time I rode my bike, the fear, the excitement, the freedom.

I remember when my best friend was shy and quiet. I created a monster.

I remember playing in the sprinklers. My cousin was visiting, the water twirling, our hair was drenched. Then my cousin poked me in the eye with a stick; we stopped playing after that.

I remember the smell of chocolate chip cookies.

I remember when bookshops smelled of books and not coffee; not that I mind the coffee smell.

I remember the smell of coffee when our friends and family came to visit our new home.

I remember our family reunion, and the barbecue that we had. The games, the laughter, and the drinking that was going on. I remember one of my aunts tripping on an inch of cement; and my cousin yelling "And there she goes."

I remember when pluto was a planet.

I remember when google was just a search engine.

I remember my mother's prayers, and they have followed me. They have clung to me all of my life.

I remember Thanksgiving at my grandparents house. And hating that we had to drive an hour just to get there. I remember wanting to leave. But then we started playing games and having fun.

I remember the last bell in elementary school.

I remember everything I want to forget.

I remember my 7th birthday party. My dad was painting my face, like he did at all of my parties.

I remember my dad chasing my around the kitchen with pliers in his hands. trying to catch my and pull my loose tooth out.

I remember him cooking pizza every Friday.

I remember him coming home from work everyday just was we were all sitting down at the table to eat dinner. He always showed up on time.

I remember sleeping by his side.

I remember the tattoo of an Indian chief on his shoulder. I remember it not being finished, he never went back to get it colored in; because he met my mom.

I remember coming home on Sunday. My dad sitting on the couch with whatever game was on that day.

I remember the day the police came to our house, and told us he had died in a car accident.

I remember seeing my mother cry.

I remember

I remember

I don't remember the sound of his voice.

5 comments:

  1. Powerful. I don't remember the sound of my grandpa's voice, and I didn't realize it until I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I remember everything I want to forget."
    The way you wrote this is incredible.. I laughed out loud at quite a few lines in the beginning, and the end was unexpected. I wanna say i'm sorry for your loss but I feel like that has such little meaning to you.. I'm sorry. That's all I can say. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pizza on Fridays....I didn't even know. I'm so sorry.
    "I remember everything I want to forget." basically my life story. there's so many things I wish I couldn't remember.

    You are amazing and I love you so much. Don't ever stop being you, because you are incredible and beautiful inside and out and your writing...damn. I'm sorry I haven't been the friend that I should...but I love you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really know what to say right now. This post hit me hard. Beautifully written and really pulls on my emotions.

    Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I remember the day the police came to our house, and told us he had died in a car accident."

    #powerful

    ReplyDelete